Public-Private Synergy in the Space Sector: Risks and Rewards
Recordings of this event are available on CSPAN.
Public-Private Partnerships in Space Industry, Part 1
Former NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and others discussed public-private partnerships in the space industry. Risk-sharing between the two sectors was among the topics discussed, with Aerospace Corporation CEO Steve Isakowitz saying, “The beauty of the private sector is they’re willing to take more risks; they’re willing to see new things move faster than the government, who just tends to be more risk-averse.” The George Washington University Elliott School of International Affairs hosted this event.
Public-Private Partnerships in Space Industry, Part 2
Aerospace industry stakeholders and others discussed public-private partnerships in the space industry during an event hosted by the George Washington University Elliott School of International Affairs. Several topics were discussed, including risk-sharing between the two sectors, innovation, insurance challenges, and the space economy.
Public-private collaboration in the space sector is a balancing act. Where can government organizations achieve greater innovation, efficiencies, and reduced risk? How can commercial parties realize a fair return on investment?
10:00 Welcome: Scott Pace, Space Policy Institute
10:10 Keynote: Jim Bridenstine, former NASA Administrator
10:30 Learning from Past Public Private Collaboration Efforts - Successes and Failures
- Moderator: Henry Hertzfeld, Space Policy Institute
- Patricia Cooper, President & Founder Constellation Advisory, LLC
- Brian D. Wessel, Attorney-Advisor, NASA Office of the General Counsel
- Moon Kim, NASA HQ - Agency Investment Analysis
- Diane Howard, White House - National Space Council
11:30 Lunch provided
12:10 Future Strategies for Public Private Collaboration – Navigating Uncertainty and Risk
- Moderator: Karen Jones, The Center for Space Policy and Strategy
- Tom Gillespie, Managing Partner, In-Q-Tel
- Chris Kunstadter, Global Head of Space, Axa – XL
- Jen Ross, SSC COMSO
- Kevin Pomfret, Attorney at Williams Mullen
1:10 Wrap Up: Jamie Morin, Executive Director, Center for Space Policy and Strategy